The End

Five years of flying fun is documented. I will continue flying, but this blog is no longer being updated. Follow me on Wingly.

Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Flying Highway One

Everything was lined up. I had a brand new US PPL certificate based on my Norwegian, with English proficiency and seaplane rating added. I had taken a biennial VFR Flight Review and the mandatory checkout at the Shoreline Flying Club. And I had renters insurance from AOPAIA. However, the SFO TAF said winds of 30G40, hence flying Monday were out of the question.

Tuesday morning the winds were less violent, and I did flight planning during a fabulous fifties breakfast at Loris Diner on Powell St., drinking my coffee in vicinity of vintage aircrafts.

Arriving Palo Alto (PAO), I found N837SP free of squacs, and ready to go. Taking off 31 for a left Dumbarton departure, flying over the University of Stanford campus before climbing to 3500 feet to get over the ridge.

The famous Pacific Coast Highway One is running by some of the most beautiful coastlines in the world. It is great by car, and even better by air. 

I followed the coast southbound through Monterey Bay and continued to Point Sur, enjoying the Bixby Bridge from a new perspective. Pilots are requested to maintain a minimum altitude of 2000 ft over the Point Lobos State Reserve and the California State Sea Otter Game Refuge. With only an iPhone as my camera, it was a challenge to capture the experience.

On my way back I did a short turn at Pebble Beach, flying over Carmel (image) and Monterey on my way back to Palo Alto. 

Two hours of flying.

Driving up to San Francisco I stopped at the Hiller Aviation Museum in San Carlos. And the day was complete.

No comments: