The End

Five years of flying fun is documented. I will continue flying, but this blog is no longer being updated. Follow me on Wingly.

Saturday, April 29, 2006

Driving with an aviation GPS

San Jose - Los Angeles. Ford Taurus. Garmin GPS III Pilot. Jeppesen Aviation Database.

The satellites kicked in just before South County Airport (E16). The 'Aviation Museum' road sign confirmed my position, and I left 101 for some flying heritage, and a closer look at the field I used last night for touch-and-go landings. Unfortunately the museum was not open on Fridays, but Magnum Aviation had Kevin Kegin's American Warbird as visitor.

A veteran pilot was watching his souvenir video as a new excited co-pilot was prepared for air work in the North American Texan. A two camera production is created with one external on the tail pointing forward, and one in the cocpit capturing the facial expressions of the customer.

The tours of the day were sold out, so my lunch was safe.

I turned on the GPS again, and as the traffic came to a complete hold on the Pacheo Pass Hwy (CA-152 E), it was too late to make a visit to Fraizer Lake Airpark (1C9). A long hour and a few miles later Los Banos Municipal Airport (LSN) came up on the display. Knowing the drive to LA had only started, the I5 intersection made me turn right; press GO TO, selecting LAX, sit back and enjoying the count down on the TIME TO DESTINATION window.

I had updated my GPS with an aviation database covering North America before I left Oslo, but there are no US land data on the device. On I5 this was not a problem. It is as straight at it gets, direct LA.

Approaching Harris Ranch Airport (3O8) a McDonald’s sign convinced me to do some dining and plain spotting. Harris restaurant has to wait till I'm back by wings. A few yards after merging back to I5 a sign stated 'SPEED ENFORCED BY AIRCRAFT'. Not everybody in the skies are friends...

Abeam Elk Hills-Buttonwillow (L62) and Meadows Field (KBFL) the batteries went out and the sun came down. Darkness followed.

No comments: