The End

Five years of flying fun is documented. I will continue flying, but this blog is no longer being updated. Follow me on Wingly.

Sunday, July 20, 2008

Leaving Sandefjord, keeping the cup

I joined SMFK as I got my PPL and moved to Sandefjord nine years ago. We lived in the city for a couple of years while my wife worked as a judge, and I commuted to Oslo. Meeting the regulars Saturdays at ENTO for waffles and hangar talk was something I looked forward to every week.
 
I pitched in for the first Norwegian flying club investment in a new C172, and have ever since joining had a strong feeling of belonging. I still drink my coffee from the SMFK cup.

Hence it was with regrets I left the club this week. Their policy of NOK 2,500 (€315) payable before first flight annually, makes you think twice before the first rental every year. And this explains why I have only visited for waffles and talks the latter years, and spent my rental money other places. Recently they added NOK 1,000 (€125) payable annually before using their facilities. All this in addition to the membership fee. Total price tag on the first hour of flight at SMFK is then NOK 5,310 (€665). 

If this were my only club membership, I would happily contribute. But I am member of a handful of flying clubs, and for me this trend of increasing the fees payable before first flight accumulated to NOK 14.820 (€1,800) this year, before the new fee from SMFK. I understand the wish to make passive members contribute more in order to have privileges of access, but I think the result will be fewer members, less use of the aircrafts, and even more to pay for the active few.

Leaving Sandefjord was not easy. But I'll keep the cup, and will sip my coffee, thinking about good times with old friends.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As a pilot I have realized that flying is an expensive hobby. My license cost me almost 10.000 Euros, and every second year it costs me another 200 Euros in medical and administration fees for renewing it. And all these costs occur before I even taxi out to the runway.

I also have a car and a boat. The car, which I use frequently, costs me 625 Euros just for insurance each year and another 350 Euros in tax, regardless of whether I drive it or not. The same goes for the boat, where I have to pay 600 Euros each year just for having it moored to the quay. In addition I have to spend 2 nights every year guarding all the boats without payment.

Some years ago I also considered membership in a golf club. However, the costs for walking on the lawn made me change my mind instantly.

So why do I accept to pay 665 Euros before my first hour of flight in SMFK? Well, compared to the other expenses I think the enjoyment of flying is worth it!